Monday, June 8, 2009

Captain Compost, my new friends, and Kibbutz Lotan




Once there was a big weird man named Captain Compost. He lived on Kibbutz Lotan. He was in charge of mud, the pee-pee and poop patrol, and other ways of recycling. Obviously, he is not real, but he is part of a story from Kibbutz Lotan that has become true. The people there have built their houses out of mud and straw. They compost pee-pee and poop and use all waste to water the plants and create soil. They have solar ovens. And they bring people--children, college students, and adults--to come learn about how to build and live this way. Even though the houses are mud, they are very beautiful inside and they have beautiful mosaics on the outside. How I learned all of this is because of the friend I made--Na'ama, who can speak English. She showed me around me and gave me a tour.

Then we went to the dining hall, where everybody eats every day. I loved the food. The vegetables and yogurts were really good. The yogurt was from the goats on the kibbutz.

After our tour, we went straight to the swimming pool. It felt so good because I was sooooo hot from walking and running around. It gets really hot there. It's in the Arava, which is the hottest part of the desert in Israel.

While we there, we went to a Bat Mitzvah. I got to meet more kids there, even though most of them spoke Hebrew. The next day was my birthday but we didn't have a cake. We sneaked a few pieces of cake from the Bat Mitzvah and had it the next day for my birthday. Na'ama came over. She helped my mom and Jonah make birthday cards for me secretly. My mom and Dan and Jonah gave me a t-shirt and a necklace from the kibbutz for my birthday.

Our next journey would be to Eilat.




No comments:

Post a Comment